Friday, October 24, 2008

Politics and Pennsylvania

There has been quite a lot of hoopla of a supposed political mugging in Pittsburgh. It could have happened or a hoax; no one knows at the moment. However there has been a frightening "blame the victim first" reaction that sickens me to the core.

Finding people who agree with me on this (internet wise) has been like finding pearls in poop. Has the political tension of the season ran so high that we devalue victims first? So the B is too neat, so she claimed a black man did it (black men can commit crimes towards whites, you know. Just ask the people of Knoxville, TN about a white couple tortured and killed by a black gang.)And just to let you know, I'm black.

Has everyone forgotten that Innocent Until Proven Guilty works for both parties? It seems sympathy has warped into suspicion. What if that was your little girl?

Here's what I wrote to Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit in reference to the case:

With all of this talk over the woman in PA being slashed because of her sticker, people suddenly crying out "Tawana Brawley". May I remind people of another victim: Richard Jewell:

Jewell, working as a private
security guard for Piedmont College,[1] discovered a pipe bomb, alerted police, and helped to evacuate the area before it exploded, saving many people from injury or potential death. Initially hailed by the media as a hero, Jewell later was considered a suspect.
Despite having never been charged, he underwent what was considered by many to be a "
trial by media" with great toll on his personal and professional life. Eventually he was exonerated completely: Eric Robert Rudolph was later found to have been the bomber.[ (wikipedia)

With the heightened tension over the election, please remember that there are still victims over politics whether this one turns out to be a fraud or not. It is frightening that people are blaming the victim before the police determine otherwise. Thank you
.

I ask my fellow readers and citizens to do the same.

1 comment:

JMK said...

Excellent post Rachel.

I admit to being skeptical about this case from the moment I first saw the pictures...the "B" looked more like a brand than a cut to me.

I think police always are skeptical of stories where a ubiquitous "black man" or "average looking white guy" are tagged as the culprits - it seems deliberately vague.

I think hoaxes are as dangerous as other crimes, in fact, they CAN be even more dangerous to those caught up as suspects.

I certainly have sympathy for people accosted for ANY political beliefs, but I also note that such people often bring far more discredit to the side they claim to be on.