Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Formal Congratulations

As Obama won the presidency tonight, I give him congratulations. However, I hope he realizes that his honeymoon is beginning to end. Forgive me for being cranky, but in my opinion, he did not deserve to be President. I don't care about his ties to his family nor to Wright or Ayers. Rather, his lack of effectiveness as state senator in Illinois.

Now I know Southside Chicago is not Palm Beach. It is rough. But Obama had a chance to prove himself and failed. The thing that bothered me was Gross Park housing project. To me, if O could not take care of his own neck of the woods he could not be trusted with anything larger. Add Joe Biden to the mix and I ended up writing in my candidate.

On the blog cynical nation, I argued that I would try not to care, as if Obama was elected, the whole kit and kaboodle of responsiblity would be blamed on the Dems and Dems alone. But I am bothered. I'm bothered by the press allowing him a pass on his effectiveness as leader. I'm bothered by the far left turn this country has taken (I'm liberal, but I do want balance). And I'm worried that the thug tactics Obama's troops have done to the media and Joe the Plumber will continue even worse as President. There is no record of his legistlative behavior, so how will we know how he will govern?

Knowing my luck , however, I'll be defending him when the chips are down and his so called fans leave him like rats from a sinking ship. When people stop riding on his coattails because he is popular. Just like W :)

Still, Obama needed to win. McCain would not have recieved media respect or objectivity as he would be the "second president to steal the election" or "Bush III"

1 comment:

JMK said...

Obama has one vital thing that neither G W, nor ANY Republican has ever had - an extremely friendly/partisan and forgiving MSM.

Not that the MSM doesn't have a history of flogging failing Dems...they lambasted Carter towards the end of his tenure...but they savaged Reagan (who actually brought down the Misery Index in each of his years) out of that sense of hyper-partisanship.

What I recently did, for pespective's sake, is to compare the most recent Keynesian period (1970 thru 1980) with the most recent Supply Side period (1995 thru 2006) and the difference in the Misery Index (the unemployment rate added to the inflation rate) has been stark - the Keynesian Misery Index was a whopping 14.2, compared to a 7.6 for the Supply Side years.

Despite that reality, the MSM consistently downplays the economy during GOP administrations and tends to overlook or ignore major economic issues during Democratic ones.

That's why I've said that the best of all possible worlds seems to be a Supply Side Democratic President (like Clinton) along with an overwhelminly Supply Side Congress (like the Gingrich Congress) as that combination led to not only some of the LOWEST Misery Indexes in decades but also a run of budget surpluses that COULD HAVE been used to pay down the National Debt, though it wasn't.